My 10 favourite albums of 2016

27.12.16



I've decided to do an post of my favourite albums from this year and there will also be a post on my favourite songs that were also released this year as i couldn't decide on doing one or the other. I think 2016 has been a good year for music and obviously 2017 is just going to be as good in the way of album releases. I feel like some of these albums that i'll mention in this post won't be a surprise at all. These are all albums that I've listened to more than once this year. They are ones I've gone back to on countless occasions. These are my favourite albums of 2016. 

1. Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being

Shocker they've made this list. Back in the summer of this year i heard a song called life itself for the first time. It has become one of my favourite songs ever. This album compared to their last album Zaba which they released in 2014 is a lot more narrative as dave has said that he had conversations with people which then inspired these characters that they created for the album cover. I love how much detail has been put into these characters that were created for the album. Every song tells a song tells a story , theres an adventure time reference in one of the songs, they recorded themselves barking like dogs and made up a new word in the process. My favourite songs from the album are The Other Side Of Paradise , Life Itself , Pork Soda and Mama's Gun. 

2. Shura - Nothings Real 

Shura released her debut album this year which of course made me feel very excited as i had only really gave her music a proper good listen at the start of the year. My mum said that her sound is very much like Madonna which i have to agree its a very 80s tinged sounding album. I love how she also included some samples from family videos and other things that are personal to her in this album which make it a more personal and unique. Some of my favourite songs by Shura made it on to this album which i was very happy about. My favourite one for sure has to be the first song after the introduction which is called Nothings Real is about the first panic attack she had and ended up in hospital. My favourite songs from this album are Nothings Real , White Light , What Happened To Us and Whats It Gonna Be. 

3. Christine and the Queens - Chaleur Humaine 

Heloise Lessiter better known as Christine and the Queens released her debut album on an independent label this year and has become a rather popular artist to come out of this year . I discovered her after she appeared on the graham norton show earlier this year performing her most popular song Tilted. It really shows that pop can be renewed into something that sounds fresh and can be performed in an original and unique way. Heloise always brings such an incredible performance as she dances whilst singing which is something that always makes me happy for some reason.I'd love to be able to see her perform one day for sure. My favourite songs from the album are Saint Claude , Science Fiction and IT. 

4. Eliza and the Bear - Eliza and the Bear

I managed to convert my mum into liking these after seeing them live at bestival. This album had been a long time coming and when it arrived i was pretty happy. Eliza and the Bear have been a band i have liked since 2013 i think. I know it was around the same time i discovered coasts too. Every song on this album is so good which makes it difficult to choose a favourite song from this album but i think I Hope You Know , Cruel and Upon The North have to be my favourite songs from the album. 

5.The Last Shadow Puppets - Everything You've Come To Expect

I had heard of the last shadow puppets only until someone told me about them a few years ago. I'd only recently given them a listen this year and needless to say i was completely sold. TLSP is the side project of Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) and Miles Kane. The last time they released music was back in 2008. The reason i have put this album in my favourite albums of this year is because to me its completely different from most of the stuff you hear around at the moment plus the sound has a real 60s/70s to it which i really love. My favourite songs from this album are She Does The Woods , Aviation and The Element of Surprise.

6. The 1975 - i like it when you sleep , for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it
I usually stream my music but when i had an iTunes voucher brought for me last christmas i had no idea what to spend it on so i thought i'd buy the new album from The 1975. I was expecting the 2nd album from The 1975 to be something unexpected and not as good as the first album but it turns out i prefer this album to the first one. It's a lot more experimental with the sound on this one plus there is a good variety of different styles included in this album from the more stripped back to the songs that will want to make you dance around in your seat. My favourite songs from this album are She's American , Nana , Paris and This Must Be My Dream.

7. Blossoms - Blossoms
This went to number one which is insane to think that really. I also got the chance to see these live at Isle of Wight Festival and honestly if you get the chance to see them live you need to because they are so good. Blossoms also are one of the bands that has had the most successful debut albums this year and you can really see why. My favourite songs from this album have to be Honey Sweet , Texia, Smashed Pianos and Cut Me and I'll Bleed. 

8. Fatherson - Open Book

This is 2nd album from Fatherson and i think its a pretty good follow up from their first album which was called 'I Am An Island' and was released in 2014. Open book shows a more rock driven sound to the bands music as the first album was very chilled out with a few slightly more upbeat songs thrown in. I was a bit late to the party on this album though. I had listened to Lost Little Boys which by the way is an absolute banger and is one of those songs that you can jump up and down to when its played live. My favourite songs from this album are Past The Point Of Breaking , Always , Wondrous Heart and Stop The Car.

9. Panic! At The Disco - Death Of A Bachelor 

Fun fact Brendon Urie recorded instrument besides the strings and the horn sections in the songs on the death of a bachelor. It oozes with a nostalgic sound that captures an essence of Frank Sinatra which you can really tell that Brendon has been massively influenced by Frank on songs such as Impossible Year and Death Of A Bachelor. You also have songs like Victorious , Golden Days and LA Devotee that are very upbeat songs that add a bit of energy to this album. My favourite songs on the album are Crazy=Genius , House of Memories and Golden Days.

10.  Bastille - Wild World

Ok so this will probably not come as a surprise to anyone as i am quite the bastille fan. This album means a lot to me i suppose. I got to see them for the 2nd time in September and it was possibly one of the happiest moments of this year. This album is possibly one of my all time favourites just because it is so good. Bastille have blown up within the past few years and honestly its been scary watching them grow this huge fan base. This is one band i'd love to meet because I've seen loads of people meeting them but there is hope for me yet. As cringe worthy and cheesy as that may sound they mean a lot to me as a band. My favourite songs from this album has to be The Currents , Snakes and Power. 

Those are my top 10 albums for 2016. I literally cannot wait for 2017 because there are so many new albums from so many artists that i like that are being released next year. I think music has really helped me this year. It's become an outlet that has helped me forget about feeling anxious and these albums have helped me through all of that. Heres to new the new releases in 2017. 

Speak soon , 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe