My 10 Favourite Bastille Covers

1.6.17

Illustration by me 
You might be aware that I'm a fan of the band Bastille if not then Bastille are my favourite band incase you didn't know. I've been a fan of Bastille for a good 3-4 years now and over the time I have been listening to them they have covered a lot of songs by other artists and bands. I have a few favourite covers and I thought it would be cool to share them with. In no particular order here are my favourite Bastille covers and why I like them. 

1. We Can't Stop - By Miley Cyrus
I remember when I first heard this cover I was sat in the sixth form common room freaking out over this cover because it was amazing. Bastille seem to always throw some surprises into their live lounge covers and I nearly cried with laughter when they threw Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus in there because I wasn't expecting it at all. 

2. Final Song - MØ
This is one of the most recent live lounge's they did last year for BBC Radio 1 and if you can throw The Final Countdown by and 7 days by Craig David into a MØ cover then you've instantly won me over. There is something very Annie Oakley Hanging about this cover too , I'm not sure why but it might be the guitars and the horn section. I think this might be my most listened to live lounge cover yet. 

3. Drop It Like It's a Royal Mashup
The fact they threw Drop It Like Its Hot into this one made me laugh but it works so well. This cover is pretty much a celebration to some of the female artists around at the moment. This was recorded in Hull for a special edition of the live lounge leading up to this years Big Weekend that Bastille also played. 

4. Thinkin Bout You Feat O.N.E - Frank Ocean
Originally this was featured on Other Peoples Heartache which was the mixtape's that Bastille created and was also on the Laura Palmer E.P which was released in 2013. I really like the original song but I think I prefer this version of the song because its just so different to the original and is a lot more synth-y which gives it this very 80s hip-hop vibe I guess. 

5. No Angels Feat Ella Eyre - The XX & TLC
I'm 100% sure this was the first song I had ever heard from OPHPT2 along with the first time I had ever heard of Ella Eyre. This is a mash up of Angels by The XX and No Scrubs by TLC and it just works so perfectly. I have been lucky to have heard this live at Bestival last year and of course me being the emotional sunflower that I am , I cried. I have no idea why I cried when they played it but there we go. 

6. Overload - The Sugarbabes
This was covered for a film called Kill Your Friends and they have literally worked miracles on this song for sure. You'd never think its a song by the Sugarbabes at all as the way Bastille have covered this song is just so much darker and less pop sounding than the original. 

7. Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
When the recored label that Bastille are signed to , Virgin turned 40 in 2013 Bastille were asked to cover a song for the compilation album that was put together for the celebrations that happened in 2013. This take on Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew is again a rather darker sounding spin on the original 1986 song. 

8. Dreams (Feat Gabrielle Aplin) - Fleetwood Mac
The fact that this version even exists makes me ridiculously happy. I absolutely love Gabrielle so I couldn't leave this cover out. I've heard a lot of people covering Fleetwood Mac and their covers have been a bit pants but this version is actually incredible. Dan and Gabrielle's vocals combined is just so perfect and I obviously couldn't leave this one out. I think this was also on one of the other peoples heartache mixtape's too. 

9. Human - Rag 'n' Bone Man
This was recorded in a live session for BBC Radio 2 this year. Dan's vocals might not be as powerful as Rory's but once again Bastille have thrown in a nice surprise of another song in there too and this is probably one of the best covers of this song I have heard out of the many I have listened to by other people. Also can we please discuss Charlie's vocals in this to because bloody hell they sound insane and if you have no idea who Charlie is he's not actually in the band he just tours with Bastille and he actually has his own music that is definitely worth giving a listen.

10. Adagio For Strings (Feat Maiday) - Haddaway , Calvin Harris & Rihanna
I'd say this version is a lot more dramatic because of the film quote and the layered vocals at the start of the song. This was covered for the first edition of other peoples heartache and I really love this version a lot. I guess this holds a lot of memories for me I guess as other peoples heartache was something I would listen to a lot when I was 15 and I would always go back and listen to this song. 

Those are my 10 favourite Bastille covers. I know this is a completely different post to what I usually do but I thought I'd mix it up a bit as I don't want to be boring myself with writing the same posts all the time. Festival posts are literally the most draining things to write as much as I enjoy writing about festivals I also want to talk about the bands I like and the songs I like by that band. I also wrote a post a few months ago about what Bad Blood by Bastille means to me so if you want to go and check that out you can click here to give that a read ! I'm also off to see Bastille next week so I'm very excited about that too. 

Speak soon , 

SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe