Theatre Review - Grease

8.7.17

I have never been a huge fan of the film 'Grease' but when I saw that the musical was coming to The Mayflower Theatre in Southampton I was really intrigued to see what it was like. The cast is full of familiar faces such as Danielle Hope who i'd previously seen in the role as Dorothy in the 2011 production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Wizard of Oz , Tom Parker who used to be in the band 'The Wanted' and is now taking on musical theatre , Louisa Lutton who was in Eastenders and was also a contestant in Strictly Come Dancing and Jimmy Osmond who is making a special appearance as teen angel. 

As we took our seats 50's music was being played over the speakers and they made it almost like it was a radio station which was pretty cool. A screen of neon lights that had the grease logo in it also greeted you as you entered the theatre which of course made me pretty excited. The band we onstage the whole time instead of being in the orchestra pit and began the show with a medley of songs from grease before Tom Parker and Danielle Hope sang a rendition of Sandy together on two stands on opposite sides of the stage. The rest of the cast then broke into the high energy number that is "grease". 

The stand out characters for me had to be Jan and Roger. The chemistry between both characters was so believable plus the number "mooning" was probably my favourite part of the show along with the part where Doody is singing in what I'm guessing was supposed to be a changing room and had a guitar and sang a song whilst the other T Birds were mocking him and out of nowhere the guitar lights up with led lights and some dancers that leaped out of the showers. Yeah that happened and I think I cry laughed and maybe snorted like a laughing pig.

Louisa Lytton played Rizzo and if I'm going to be honest her vocals weren't strong enough for Rizzo but her dancing and acting skills were spot on. Tom Parker's Danny Zucko was good considering this was his first big musical theatre production , however his american accent sometimes sounded a bit on the British side but with a bit of work I think he could do a pretty good accent. Danielle Hope as Sandy was spot on even though she wasn't onstage as much as the T Birds , Danny and The Pink Ladies. One thing that made me absolutely cry my eyes out was Jimmy Osmond as Teen Angel. It wasn't even supposed to be that funny but it just felt so random that he was playing Teen Angel. Some people behind me had no idea who he was and looked more confused than I was but I knew who he was .... 

Grease is such a high energy show with those songs that pretty sure everyone knows and loves. I strongly recommend going to see it if your looking for a fun musical that will make you want to sing along straight after you've left the theatre. I wanted to burst into song on the ferry but that would have been a bit weird. Grease is on tour until December this year and you can visit grease the musical to find out more information on tour dates. 

Speak soon , 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I saw the show a few years ago - it was good fun but isn't my favourite musical.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe