Sound of the Month - February

24.2.18

This months selection of songs is a weird mixture of rap and slowish songs. I've always had a pretty wide variety of what I listen to and I've often been told that its weird but I think it's cool that people find my music taste weird. This month I've been going between the Black Panther soundtrack and some other stuff by bands that I've liked for a while or more recently discovered. 

Kali Uchis - After The Storm (Featuring Tyler The Creator & Bootsy Collins)
My brother was the one that introduced me into Kali Uchis. Normally I hate the stuff he listens to just because its not my sort of thing. It wasn't until he showed me the video for the song that I really got into this song. The video for After The Storm and was directed by Nadia Lee Cohen. It's a really aesthetically pleasing video and it works perfectly against the song. Think 1970s smooth funk and soul and you've got after the storm. This also the sort of song that would sound great on vinyl. 

Kendrick Lamar (with SZA) - All The Stars 
Kendrick Lamar has curated the soundtrack for Black Panther and also released this song with SZA to go with the soundtrack and oh my god the song is actually amazing. Honestly Kendrick Lamar has nailed it with the Black Panther soundtrack. I like Kendrick , I think he's a creative genius when it comes to his music but I never really listen to him that much as I'd like to. Also Black Panther is the best Marvel film I have ever seen.

Lokki - I Catch You 
I Catch You is the first release from new artist Lokki. This is such a gentle song that you could imagine the fluffiest of clouds dancing together to this song. Lokki is the alternative for Loki in Scandinavian mythology and also means seagull in Finnish. I'd never heard of this artist until this song was put onto the new music Friday playlist on Spotify and I'm so glad I discovered it because wow its beautiful. There is a debut e.p coming out too at some point this year and I already cannot wait to hear new music after the release of this song. 


Frank Ocean - Moon River 
A lot of people thought this was a brand new song by Frank when really it was a cover of the song that features in Breakfast At Tiffany's. It's the most gorgeous cover I've ever heard of a song and you can see why people were thinking that it was a brand new song. Frank really put his own personal touch on the song making it into a more modern sounding song that makes the song cool for people that wouldn't usually want to listen to the original version of the song. It's also Frank Ocean so I can't blame anyone for thinking that this is a beautiful cover because it is. 

Muse - Thought Contagion 
The start of this song reminds me of a haunted house ride or a ghost train at a theme park. This also the sort of song that is so big that it could fit perfectly into a arena environment. Then again all Muse songs are absolutely huge. It's different to any other Muse song I've heard but also gives off a survival vibe too. Survival is one of my favourite Muse songs so I think this is why I really like this song as they are slightly similar. It's angry and thunderous drumming really makes the song even more dramatic. I also love the video for this song too as it really reminds me of Stranger Things and Black Mirror. 

Superorganisim - Everybody Wants To Be Famous 
Their debut album comes out next month and I'm so happy it is as I don't think I can listen to just 4 of their songs on repeat. What I like about Superorganisim is how weird their music is without being too in your face. Weird pop music is great and I love it a lot. I haven't really listened to them that much until I heard this song and now I can't stop listening to it. If a sugar rush made sounds it would probably sound like this.

The Weeknd - Pray For Me (with Kendrick Lamar)
I think this and All The Stars are the two songs that I've been listening to the most from the Black Panther soundtrack. I don't have much to say about this song that much because I just love it so much. It's very much a Abel song but with Kendrick's spin on Pray For Me it gives it an edge that I think just works so well. I can't get over how Kendrick has nailed it with the Black Panther album because it's good.

Peace - Power 
Peace are back ! They've just announced that their 3rd album Kindness Is The New Rock and Roll is coming out on the 4th May and I need May to hurry up now. Last year they released a song called From Under Liquid Glass which was a very strong return from the band but Power is even better. The fact that they turned up in their pyjamas to the NME Awards this month already proves that this album cycle is already the best thing that Peace have created.

Ben Platt - Somewhere (from West Side Story)
I had to get something theatre related in this post didn't I ?! When I found out that Ben would be performing at this years Grammys to celebrate Broadway , I was pretty excited to see how he would put his own spin on such a classic musical theatre song. Ben was in Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway and recently left the show to record his own album which I need right now , especially after this performance. It's the most beautiful version I've heard of this song and Ben is so talented it's ridiculous. 


Post Animal - Ralphie 
So I've listened to Post Animal a few times now and I absolutely love their music so much. Post Animal are from Chicago and Joe Keery who plays Steve Harrington in Stranger Things happens to be a contributing member of the band but doesn't tour with them . His vocals also appear on this song to and honestly I cannot get enough of his voice. If the Duffer Brothers want to write a musical episode of Stranger Things then that would be great thank you because I'm 100% sure the majority of the younger cast are in bands. Ralphie is one of those songs that is super infectious from the moment you listen to the song for the first time. Their new album When I Think Of You In A Castle is out on the 21st April.

The Ninth Wave - New Kind of Ego 
These might be one of my new favourite bands I've discovered recently. Last summer I constantly listened to Reformation (great song by the way) and have recently listened too a bit more of their stuff. A New Kind of Ego is the first of new releases for this year and I'm excited to hear more stuff from the band. This is a band that you need to know about for sure and they're even heading out on a tour this year so if your wanting to go and hear something new then  I think its worth seeing them on tour. The song itself is just brilliantly moody and I probably won't stop listening to it.

Thats it ! There are no albums this month but I'll try and include them as much as I can in these posts.The Brits also happened this month and I'm still in so much shock about Stormzy's win and performance. I feel like the show could have done with more female artists performing though. I can't wait to see what March brings in the way of new music. I believe Blossoms are bringing out a brand new song on the 1st which I'm super excited to hear as they've been teasing new material by saying they've split up and got new jobs which is great pr and also hilarious. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe