Harry Styles Album Review

15.5.17



This is the last thing I'd expect to be reviewing but here I am reviewing Harry Styles' debut album. I think when One Direction announced their hiatus I really didn't care as I'm not a huge fan of One Direction but when rumours started flying around about the band releasing solo music I was pretty intrigued to see what would happen. Harry is the first to release a full solo album and I thought I'd share my opinion as i've given it a listen and I have a lot to say about it.

The title track from the self titled album , Meet Me in the Hallway is one of the more acoustic and stripped back songs that I absolutely love. There is something almost very 70s about the entire album itself which I think is why I like the album so much as I'm a huge fan of music from the 60s and 70s. There is something so refreshing about hearing someone re-creating a similar vibe to some of the bands and artists from that era but revamping it to fit in with modern day. Meet Me in the Hallway is probably one of my favourites on this album for sure.

Sign of the Times was the first single to be released and it really pleasantly surprised me when I first heard the song. I had no idea what Harry's music would sound like whatsoever but when I heard Sign of the Times my jaw literally dropped as I literally could not believe that Harry Styles did that. I just really wish they'd let him go solo in the first place because Sign of the Times is something the world desperately needed. At first I thought it was going to start as this really emotional piano ballad until the chorus kicked in and that was the moment when I realised that I probably wouldn't stop listening to the song. The video is just hilarious more than anything as I could not stop laughing. 

Bloody hell why does Carolina sound like stuck in the middle with you by Stealers Wheel ?! As I was writing this post it literally occurred to me that there is a bit of a similarity to that song. Anyway I really like this song and I think its another favourite of mine. This is definitely one of the more faster tempo songs on the album that will make you want to find a tambourine to start waving around whilst shouting LA LA LA LA LA. Theres a lot of la la's in this song by the way but I think thats what makes it a very catchy song. 

Two Ghosts or better known as that song about Taylor Swift. It's so bloody obvious that this is about her. I'm not a huge fan of this song , I don't know why but I'm not. Its a lot more chilled out than some of the other songs but I guess it will probably grow on me the more I listen to it. Ok so Sweet Creature almost made me cry ok. I have no idea why it almost made me cry but it did. I think its a lovely little song even though it is about a long distance relationship. Once again pretty slow and acoustic but again its another favourite of mine. 

Only Angel starts of really slow but then out of nowhere it speeds up and suddenly I'm getting the urge to want to do air guitar because i'm a giant ball of cringe and I need to get a life . Oh not to mention theres a little quote plonked in there and we all know how I feel about quotes being plonked into songs , I bloody love it. This also really surprised me because I was expecting it to be another slow song but nope it's a lot more rockier than the past two songs. There is cow bell in this song which automatically makes it a great song. 

When I was looking at the track listing the one that I was really intrigued to hear was Kiwi. At this time I had no idea what the album was going to sound like or even what this song would even be about. I honestly thought it would either be about New Zealand or kiwi fruit. I know I said Only Angel and Carolina were really had a bit more of rock-ier sound but this is a lot more faster than the others. All I want to know who's having who's baby and why is it none of my business. I'd love to know how this song started off as I'm aware it started off as a joke but the lyrics are pretty interesting. This is also another favourite of mine.

Ever Since New York was played live on Saturday Night Live and when I first heard it on there I was really confused because I literally had no idea that Harry could play the guitar. You learn something new everyday. I don't really know what to say about this song other than I really like it and I think its a great song. 

Woman is the one song that I can't listen to without bursting out into laughter purely because there is a sound on the song that sounds like a honking goose. I'm sorry if you can never un-hear the goose if your listening to this song. This also includes some more la la's and some pretty great guitar playing with added goose honking. The goose honking isn't actually a goose apparently its Harry himself making the noise with some effects thrown over the top of it which I refuse to believe. 

The last song on the album is called From The Dining Table. I love how it goes from being pretty acoustic to then becoming a lot more layered with vocals and more instruments that gradually fizzle out towards the end of the song where the song goes back to being acoustic like it was at the start. I think this a perfect song to end the album with and I also really like this one too. 

This album is a marmite album , you either love it or hate it but I don't mind it.
I think this album might possibly be one of my favourite albums of the year so far. I really wasn't expecting to like the album but I think I've listened to it at least 5 or 6 times now which is a lot of times but when its a good album I think you tend to listen to it more than once for a few weeks or in my case , a few days. So there you have it an album review that I thought i'd never be writing ! 

Speak soon ,  

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm currently writing a review on this album too and we have really similar opinions, loved the post! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe