Sound Of The Month - March

28.3.18


A trip to the theatre, snow and Disneyland have been the highlights for me this month. As well as some pretty great songs that I've been listening too. A lot of these songs accompanied me on my trip to Disneyland Paris for the coach trip there. I also went to see Matthew Bourne's Cinderella and if you want to find out about what I thought of the production then there will be a review coming soon ! This month includes both Hamildrop's and a couple of George Ezra songs and country song. Here is March.

George Ezra - Pretty Shining People 
My love for George Ezra has grown a lot since he started releasing new music. I think this might be my favourite song he's released so far. Pretty Shining People just makes me feel happy and is pretty catchy too. I'd love to see George live again but he's not touring anywhere nearby and I'm a bit annoyed as I'd love to see him again but he's playing Wembley in November which is absolutely huge ! His 2nd album Staying At Tamara's is out now and I absolutely love it.


Calpurnia - City Boy 
This is the first track that Calpurina have released and are releasing their debut e.p soon. I like bands that sound like they could soundtrack some 70s film set in L.A and Calpurina are one of those sorts of bands. The band are made up of Alya Tesler-Mabe , Malcom Craig , Jack Anderson and Finn Wolfhard who happens to be in Stranger Things. For such a young band they are really cool and I can't wait to hear other music from them.

Weird 'Al' Yankovic - The Hamilton Polka 
I've never listened to weird al and probably never will listen to any of his other songs but as someone who absolutely loves the musical Hamilton I had to give this a listen. The song was released for February's Hamildrop which are monthly releases from Lin Manwell Miranda and people thats he's gotten in touch with to cover songs from Hamilton in their own way. From what turned into just one listen turned into over 20 more listens. Its such a weird and wonderful take on the songs from Hamilton its just absolutely ridiculous but I love it so much. I listen to it because its just so stupid and brings me so much joy.

Flyte - Moon Unit 
Fun fact about this song , it was written and recorded in a studio where I live. It was also the same studio that Michael Kiwanuka recorded his Mercury Prize nominated album. Moon Unit is another song by Flyte that just reminds me of early 60s/70s bands that my grandad has introduced me to in the past. It's also the perfect song that reminds me of the spring time and daffodils. 

George Ezra - Saviour (Featuring First Aid Kit)
When I saw that George had collaborated with First Aid Kit on a song for his album I was actually pretty excited about it. Just after the first listen I went and listened to it again and again because I absolutely love it. You can really tell that First Aid Kit have had a bit of influence on the sound of the song. Klara and Johanna's vocals blend really well with Georges vocals in the chorus of the song. It reminds me of walking through a forest with the sun leaking through the really tall trees. 

Emma Blackery - Dirt 
Throughout all the different sounds that Emma'a music has been through over the years I think this might be the best song that Emma has released. I have found the song that I want to play all the people that have peed me off over the years. The best lyric in this song has to be "I'm the bitch who keeps her receipts". I am honestly living for Emma's new sound and I cannot wait for the release of her debut album.

Fuzzy Sun - Want Love 
A new band on the block , Fuzzy Sun have just released their first e.p. on the label that Blossoms have created. Want Love is a 70s/80s inspired dream of a song that I just can't get enough of. I can't wait to see what this band do next because I absolutely love the e.p and this song. If your a fan of Blossoms then I strongly recommend giving these a listen. 

Panic ! At The Disco - (Fuck A) Silver Lining 
So two new Panic songs we're released this month along with an album announcement. Out of the two that got released , this one is my favourite by far. I really like the vintage vibe that it has to it along with the 1920's style brass in the background. It also has a really modern twist as well which is something that the last panic album had and I really liked about it. I could imagine a great tap dancing routine working perfectly with this. I do like Say Amen (Saturday Night) but I really prefer this one.

The Shires - Guilty 
Hi , my name is Chloe and I absolutely love The Shires. Upbeat country music is something that I am so here for like oh my god this song is one of the best songs that Ben and Crissie have written so far. Its more pop than country but still captures the essence of what country music is all about. 

Ben Platt , Lin-Manuel Miranda - Found Tonight 
Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen are two of my favourite musicals so when I found out that for this months Hamildrop would include Ben Platt I was pretty excited to see what would be coming out. The crossover of the story of tonight from Hamilton and you will be found from Dear Evan Hansen works incredibly well and the arrangement of the song is absolutely stunning. A portion of the proceeds go to the march for our lives initiative too.

I have an album to mention this month ! What a surprise it's George Ezra's 2nd album that I wanted to talk about. I absolutely love it and I think its a great 2nd album from George. Staying At Tamara's has mostly upbeat song that remind me of summer and the festival season. I really like the songs that I've mentioned in this post along with two others that I've not mentioned yet. Get Away and Shotgun are bouncy and lively songs that I've put on my playlists because they are so great. I really hope I can get to see George live again somewhen because I saw him last year and I thought he was excellent live. 

Ok the 3rd month is done and out the way so I can't wait to hear Aprils releases. I know this months blog posts have been patchy again and to be honest this years posts already have been super patchy but I've been giving myself a break as I'm creatively stuck on what to talk about. I'm starting to write a series of theatre related blog posts so that will be coming somewhen. Also if we get anymore weird snow happening in like the middle of august or whatever then I'll be confused as hell. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe