Isle of Wight Festival 2016

14.6.16


I went to the Isle of Wight Festival over the weekend again for the 4th time. This time myself , my mum and my grandad all went along for 3 nights of music. I did have a few panic attacks but i didn't let those get in the way.
I wasn't overly keen on this years line up due to it being a bit more average compared to last year but that doesn't really bother me. Over the weekend i got to see bands that i didn't think i would like until i sat and listened to them at the festival. So this is what my weekend this year went like ! Also in this post are some photos included from the Sunday as that was the only day i took my camera.

Friday 
The first day of the festival ended up being an alright day. I got to see a bit of Busted before getting claustrophobic and what i saw of them was so good. Must admit that they're new songs live were ok still not a fan of their new single but they played all the well known songs ! Due to getting anxious we had to move back which of course we ended up being near a lady with pretty much half of her bum cheek hanging out of her shorts whilst being sat down ... 

We headed over to see the incredible Blossoms who i had been desperate to see so to finally get to see them live was great.Even my grandad liked Blossoms so thats a huge compliment as he's nearly 70 ! We then headed back to the main stage to watch Jess Glynne who wore some pretty shiny trousers that were rather on the flared side. She even had my grandad dancing and he's not one for dancing around but he really enjoyed Jess's set and it was also great to finally see her after she had to pull out last year due to illness. We then went to see Gabrielle Aplin. Whilst walking over we caught a few minutes of the Sex Pissed Dolls set which sounded huge. The Sex Pissed Dolls are an all female sex pistols tribute act i think but seriously they sounded like they were smashing up the hard rock stage. For you info : Gabrielle was amazing and i can't believe i finally got to see her after waiting so long. 

Then came headliner time ! Friday was a co-headliner between The Stereophonics and Faithless. We stayed for the Stereophonics who happened to be one of the highlights of my weekend. I was a bit unsure if they were going to be good headliner material but turns out they were a good choice for headliners.

Saturday 
Line up for the saturday in all honesty was a bit rubbish. I only wanted to see The Who and Sunset Sons but guess who missed Sunset Sons for the blooming 2nd time !!! I'm not happy but i'll be ok. On Saturday's highlights include Iggy Pop and The Who. I either didn't know half of the bands or didn't want to see them which was fun besides i was only there for the who anyway. The Who were incredible and were definitely one of my favourite headliners over the weekend. Me and my grandad had a great time watching them as he introduced me to The Who when i was around 11 or 12. Once again i had a panic attack which was once again lovely.  I didn't think i'd like Iggy Pop but here we are. He was actually surprisingly really good and even created a few mosh pits in the crowd which is something I always love to see. Then Richard Ashcroft came on and I'm not even joking when i say he looks like Miles Kane from the last of the shadow puppets because there is a rather weird resemblance. 

The who were amazing ! So many people were leaving which was rather disappointing as they're an old band so its better to appreciate them now before you regret not seeing in a year to come.They played a lot of songs from Tommy and Quadrophenia which was insane. They also love to chat a lot before they play their next song which is something i always like to hear. 

Sunday

Pictured :  infront , Barry from Twin Atlantic ,behind Craig and below : Sam Mctrusty of Twin Atlantic 

I have no idea if anyone wants to see more photos i took of twin atlantic but i'll possibly do like a photo set of the photos i took of them. So Sunday was the day i got to see one of my favourite bands for the 2nd time who ended up being incredible as always ! I love twin atlantic and saw them on their great divide tour in 2014. They played some new material from their new album GLA which sounded so good live as I've recently become obsessed with their newest single 'No Sleep' which sounds amazing live. Twin had to be the highlight of my entire weekend. 

After their set finished a band called Half Moon Run performed a rather chilled out set which was enjoyable as it carried around a relaxed vibe around the main stage area. Mike and the Mechanics went down rather well even though i knew none of their songs they were still rather enjoyable to watch. Then came on the cribs who i hadn't of heard of and still have no idea why they were on the main stage. They should have been in the big top as no one around us liked them. Just saying it as it is. Ocean Colour Scene were alright in my books. I hadn't really heard of them before but i didn't like them that much as their sound was very same-y for my liking. 
Queen and Adam Lambert were the closing headliners for the Sunday and i was actually rather disappointed. I just didn't like Adam at all. Don't get me wrong he's very talented but the amount of costume changes and the stupid extended notes was all a bit too mariah carey for my liking. Brian May and Rodger Taylor are ridiculously talented and i had no idea they could both sing so well. They would have done Freddie proud and i think Freddie would have loved Adam. Not one of my favourite headliners but i don't think anyone can knock Fleetwood Mac off the top of the list i have of favourite headliners i've seen. 

Over all the weekend was ok it wasn't my favourite year and the line up compared to recent years was lacking something and in my eyes was pretty weak. Highlights include : Iggy Pop , Jess Glynne , Blossoms , Stereophonics , The Who and Twin Atlantic. I hope next years festival turns out to be a bit better than this years though the weather wasn't as bad as some places where it poured down. The giant floating sperm flag from last year made a return this year which pleased me a lot just because it was hilarious. I'll consider going next year if the line up isn't pants like this years ! 

Speak soon , 
SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe