James Morrison

22.3.16


Venue : O2 Southampton Guildhall 
Support : Kelvin Jones 

Ok so after last years O2 ticket issue everything eventually got sorted out and I managed to get tickets to see James Morrison for my mum. Now for those who don't know my mum goes to a few gigs with me. She doesn't mind coming along with me as most of the time she likes the bands we go to see but to make up for all the gigs i have dragged her along to i decided to take her to see James Morrison as i know that she likes him. He's not someone that i would usually go to see but for my mums sake i chose that gig for her. 

I've never really liked James Morrison and i still don't now , however his live vocals translate really well from studio recorded vocals. The support was Kelvin Jones. He was actually rather good. It was just him , his guitar and a loop pedal which i always applaud people who can use a loop pedal because they seem like they can be a challenge sometimes. He did a cover of the Weeknd's 'can't feel my face' which was good. Before he started his songs he told little stories as to how the song came about and how he felt at the time he wrote the song. 

James walked onstage and you could sense that the amount of women there were about to probably fall to the floor because sid the sloths twin had walked onstage. I turned around to my mum and said he looked like the cartoon sloth from the ice age films and i don't think she was to pleased with me for saying that ! I didn't realise that he had started off his music career 10 years ago when i was 8 years old ! Other than that it wasn't my usual type of gig , i didn't like it that much but i went to it for my mums sake anyway. The highlight of the evening was when came out of the gig and said to my mum about the amount of women that had dragged their boyfriends or husbands along was rather amusing because they looked like they were having a great time like me. 

If you've not ever listened to James's music its alright but his voice reminds me of James Bay and I'm not sure if thats good or not because i like James Bay. The songs that he played were a mixture of old songs that everyone could sing a long to and new songs from his new album that apparently came out last year. I had no idea that he released a new album last year until January this year so thats always a good thing. 

My overall opinion on the gig was that it wasn't too bad as he's got voice live. 
I was supposed to go to see Wolf Alice on the same week but guess who turned it down ! I'm not overly bothered by not going as i'll probably see them again anyway. My next gig is Muse ! I'm seeing Muse next month in London and I'm super excited ! I've wanted to see Muse for years so for this to finally happen is so exciting ! 


That was my experience of seeing James Morrison for the first and last time ! Thanks to O2 Music for finally getting round to sorting out last years kerfuffle. Also shout out to the 'Super fans' that think its ok to listen in on peoples conversations about guest lists. That will and always annoy me from now on.

Speak soon , 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe